Who We Serve
Youth, Rights & Justice is court-appointed to represent children in foster care, parents in the child dependency system and youth in the juvenile court system. We represent individual clients in the Multnomah County (Oregon) Juvenile Court, the Oregon Court of Appeals and Oregon Supreme Court. We also represent youth under the jurisdiction of the Oregon Juvenile Psychiatric Security Review Board.
Our SchoolWorks program serves children and youth who are involved in the juvenile court system and advocates for their educational rights and needs.
View the story of DJ, one of the 50,000 children and youth served by Youth, Rights & Justice since 1975.
In the SchoolWorks program:
- 53% of students served are Caucasian
- 26% of students served are African-American
- 8% of students are Latino
- 8% are Multi-racial
- 3% are Native American or Alaskan Native
- 2% are Asian or Pacific Islander
Youth, Rights & Justice advocates for policies to improve the lives of children and families throughout Oregon by:
- drafting and advocating for legislation in Salem.
- influencing Oregon Administrative Rules created by the Department of Human Services and other state agencies.
- disseminating research and other information to other attorneys and advocates for children, youth and families around the state of Oregon.