Who We Serve
Youth, Rights & Justice is court-appointed to represent
children in foster care, parents in the child dependency system and
youth in the juvenile court system. We represent individual
clients in the Multnomah County (Oregon) Juvenile Court, the Oregon
Court of Appeals and Oregon Supreme Court. We also represent
youth under the jurisdiction of the Oregon Juvenile Psychiatric
Security Review Board.
Our SchoolWorks program serves children and youth who are
involved in the juvenile court system and advocates for their
educational rights and needs.
View the story of DJ, one of the 50,000 children and youth
served by Youth, Rights & Justice since 1975.
In the SchoolWorks program:
- 53% of students served are Caucasian.
- 26% of students served are African-American.
- 8% of students are Latino.
- 3% are Native American or Alaskan Native.
- 8% are Multi-racial
- 2% are Asian or Pacific Islander
Youth, Rights & Justice advocates for policies to improve
the lives of children and families throughout Oregon by:
- drafting and advocating for legislation in Salem.
- influencing Oregon Administrative Rules created by the
Department of Human Services and other state agencies.
- disseminating research and other information to other attorneys
and advocates for children, youth and families around the state of